03 August 2007

Dark Eyes-Dark Mouth: Correctly


That is, of course, the inimitable Monica Bellucci (Photo: Italian Elle, August 2006). Her image should be familiar to those who read my blog frequently: she is my avatar. Currently a face of Dior, here Ms. Bellucci shows a beautifully painted face with dark eyes and a dark mouth. Often this combination is seen as a no-no, sometimes considered too dramatic. On the right face, however, it can be stunning and seductive.

It is my opinion that this dark-dark combo is more appropriate on darker skin colors as it really can look overdone or too gothic on blondes, though I think with a little tweaking the latter can pull it off successfully. A color shadow lighter than black but still in the dark range, like for example gray, brown or blue, can be used in combination with black mascara to create a smoky-eye look for fairer skinned women accompanied by a rich brown lipstick.

Personally I like that look and wear it quite often. I work at home so there's no need for me to wear 'appropriate' daytime colors in my cosmetics.

No comments: