05 August 2007

One n' Only Curl Remover


(Photo: Sallybeauty.com)

I recently used Jheri Redding's One n' Only Curl Remover. A thio relaxer, it is advertised strictly as a curl remover. I was hesitant to try it because my previous experiences with thio-based products (Haime Munoz' EasyStraight)...well, sucked. But I've always been willing to try new products on my hair, even if the only lesson I end up gaining from it is how to use wig tape. Luckily, my hair has never fallen out because of one of my 'adventures'. After reading tons of positive reviews on ONO (as it is called) I figured, what the hell, let's give it a shot.

I am SO GLAD I DID!

My hair is totally unclassified. Or should I say, unclassifiable? But not in that good stand-out, want to emulate way. More in the 'unique' way, heavy on the air quotes. One part wavy, one
part kinda curly, one part quasi straight and one part WTF, it ranges between 3A and 3C on this hair chart. That one-part WTF is this odd configuration of poof (not kinky as I can easily run a fine toothed comb through it but not straight, curly or wavy) is what I like to call 'filler hair'. Nature put it there simply because it'd look just too odd walking around with blank patches. My mixed ethnicity kinda let me down on the hair genes, because honestly what is all that about?

Anyway, I bought two boxes, which is definitely needed if you have extremely thick hair or very long hair or, Goddess bless you, both. My hair is thick and just above shoulder-length, fyi. It also tends to be resistant and so that is the formula I purchased at Sally Beauty. Next is the application I used for my hair. It is by no means professional advice so don't blame me if it doesn't go as well as it did for me. I have previously used relaxers for African-American women only to leave my hair dry, brittle and breaking.

I advise you to buy a pair of latex (or latex free, if you're allergic) work gloves and, if you don't
already have it, a rattail, fine-tooth comb and (preferrably) clear plastic hair clips. The following tip is for virgin hair. Put on an old tee and use a shampoo towel around your neck if needed and have paper towels on standby to wipe up any spilled solution. You are supposed to shampoo first but I didn't. What I did do was use a deep conditioner, Neutrogena's Triple Moisture. The instructions tell you to first section the hair in four and then within each section as you are applying the pre-mixed solution, 3/4" sections. My hair is very thick and so I decided to modify that by making the sections half as large, that would be about 1/2". This also takes longer so if that makes you skittish, then don't try this at home. Instead of the recommended 20 minutes for resistant, virgin hair, I took 40 minutes. You still need to work quickly but methodically because there is nothing worse than having a swath of untamed hair to deal with.

If this is your first time using any sort of at-home chemical process and you're feeling nervous, get a friend to help you. Preferrably one that has used a similar chemical process and can help you in case you find yourself in a jam. As I said, I made modifications on the application because I know my hair well, know chemicals very well (loved chemistry in hs) and was willing to accept a major screw up possibly resulting in me looking like Lex Luthor's darker, prettier, slightly less evil twin sister. The solution was kept on more than twice the recommended time. Don't be afraid to take an extra five to seven minutes. The neutralizer was left on for 20 minutes, rinsed then followed up with Pantene's Midnight Expressions Shampoo and Conditioner.The result:

Seriously beautiful, seriously shiny, seriously straight hair! Exactly what I was hoping for. I mean right out of the shower straight hair. I mean, do not have to flat iron straight. I mean, bone straight after blow drying with no product but a heat protector, straight. What a relief! Especially in the summer months here in Chicago. Previously just the thought of humidity sent my hair into spasms resulting in random puffiness. When I did this, the weather was nasty hot, as in 90 degree days with 70% humidity. Not one hair dared rebel. I even did a vigorous workout three days later in said heat, consisting of moving a twin mattress and boxspring into my house by myself. Not. One. Puff.

You're told not to put the hair in a ponytail or clips for 48 hours. Definitely follow those instructions. Also, get a silk scarf, hair bonnet or pillowcase to protect your hair, which you should have anyway. The hair is very fragile at this point and resistance will cause some breakage. Luckily my ends are in good shape so I just wrapped my hair buy taking a brush and gently brushing my hair around my head. For those of you who do not know, this is called a wrap style (follow part C of "From 'Already Styled' To 'Ready For Bedtime' ". Modify where necessary, ie. you may not need an oil sheen.) This enabled me to have a nice style with minimum contact with styling aids other than the wide-toothed comb I used once in the morning to unwrap it.

Final warnings. Do not use any chemical process if:

  • Your scalp is damaged.
  • Your hair is exceptionally dry and damaged. Deep condition twice at least two days before.
  • You are nervous about doing this yourself. Consult a pro or friend who really knows what s/he is talking about and has successfully applied chems to their own hair.
  • Also, it helps to have an accurate classification of your hair type. I see too many people classify loose waves as kinky simply because said waves are also dry/damaged and thick. This annoys the crap outta me. While my texture may be up in the air, I do know my hair is not kinky. A proper classification will also help you in deciding which ONO formula to purchase as there are three.

Redding's One n' Only Curl Remover has been the best thing to happen to my hair in a very long time. I am SO happy to have tried it. I bought mine at Sally though it was rather difficult to find a location that had it. I'm glad it worked as I went through a lot of trouble to find it. Folica carries it as well but it is currently out-of-stock and I have not found (nor admittedly looked) it anywhere else online.

Questions? Leave a message here or feel free to email me: oshuns.beauty@gmail.com

(All photos from Sally Beauty.com. Used without permission.)

8 comments:

auddie said...

yay! believe it or not, there is someone in the universe with exactly the same hair troubles-me! i tried to type my hair once...so not happening- ive got everything from 3c curls to 2a waves, and even a few straight blonde strands thrown in for laughs. i had been debating using a thio type relaxer on it, as sodium relaxers have given less than desirable results. but after hearing this i think ill give it a try! Ive been looking everywhere for results of thio products on multiracial hair with no luck. thanks for sharing your experiences!

Unknown said...

Hi, I have 3B/3C ethnic hair, and whenever I go to a salon, they suggest I use a hydroxide relaxer. I don't want to because of all the bad things I hear about them. It's very inspiring to read your post, but was curious how your hair has held up since? did you apply ONO again?

Anonymous said...

so! i just gave myself fringe bangs (actually a friend did). Anyway, having curly hair this was totally not a good idea (but I do love them)! Anyway, I ordered this online and am praying it works as well as you said so that my bangs actually look good, haha

gabbyg said...

Ah I'm so glad that you tried it as well! I had my boyfriend (ha!) do the treatment for me and seriosuly, for $11.00 I was really just taking a chance to see if this would work. Yeah, I was really nervous especially since I had my hair relazed a year ago and it was starting to come out and I firgured a cheap alternative would just kill my hair.
But no, fresh out of the last wash my hair dried straight and NO POOF something I am all too familiar with. Even walking to school in the Victoria rainy weather my hair didn't even flinch.
Seriously, this stuff is a life saver. For something so cheap ($11.00 compared to the $200.00 I paid at the salon) it was totally worth the half hour of shilacked hair. Now to see how long it lasts, I can't wait to put it to the serious test :)
Have a terrific day everyone!
I have a website coming out with reviews of great products by girls who have actually tried them, not only that but also advice columns, how-to's for the single girl, and professional tips!
It's still in the making but check out the preliminaries at guidetogreat.weebly.com
and check again later for updates!
Have a terrific day everyone!
G

Anonymous said...

I been using ono for more than 5 years already, and I regret not to start using it earlier. My hair is very thin after relaxing it for so many years. ono is great for my curly hair and I can color it as well without any problem. I do recommend this product to anyone that wants to remove curly hair, but be sure you apply it as per the instructions or better yet ask for someone to do it for you.
Hope this can help the ones that haven't take a decision yet.
Marie
Puerto Rico

Anonymous said...

So you can leave the step one on for 40 minutes..just keep working the solution in your hair..then rinse it out and do step 2 for 20 minutes and the hair wont break and it will be really straight?? other than doing the normal 20 minutes for step one?

Anonymous said...

Used it to calm my hair for my new pixie cut. Love love love it. Only 8 minutes and beautiful waves! Straightened so easy:)

Unknown said...

I wish this product would have worked for me the way it did for you! I have weird hair too, some straight in the front then in the back it’s coarser and frizzy with small tight waves and straight on the ends because my hair used to be all straight 3 years ago. It’s just recently started growing out curly over the past 3 years so the old ends are straight! Anyway, so I used the product on my virgin hair and it did nothing. I did only leave it on for 20 mine though. Well, I’m glad it worked for you guys at least 😔