10 May 2007

Who is Oshun?

Oshun is the Yoruban Goddess of Love, Sensuality, Sexual pleasure, and Beauty: "Oshun, the Yoruban Goddess of love, delights in the creation of beauty and art, sensual delights and self-adornment. Her symbols are mirrors, jewelry, honey, golden silks and feather fans. Creativity in decorating home and temple is a way of honoring Oshun, who will bless any beautiful space created in Her honor. There is no object so common that Oshun will not appreciate more if it is made artistic and pleasing to the eye. Creativity in dress and self-adornment please her as well, and when Oshun is pleased, her blessings know no limits." [Source: Lunaea.com]


While I do not follow the Yoruban religion, I decided to name this blog after Oshun because, quite honestly, very few people in the Anglo-American world know about her. Usually whenever beauty goddesses are discussed it is always Aphrodite/Venus and while I adore her I wanted to call attention to an African goddess. Unfortunately there is still the opinion that anything African is unattractive and that could not be more untrue. And I suppose being multiracial a part of me instinctively gravitated toward Oshun.

When I first read about Oshun and her symbols I immediately said, "That sounds like me!" I find no shame is saying that yes, I enjoy looking in the mirror and I enjoy self-adornment even more. Oshun's Mirror was a perfect name for a blog about beauty, the celebration of self and the adornment of the body. For an absolutely GORGEOUS print of Oshun, check out talented Australian artist Selina Fenech.