12 May 2007

Beauty: Prom Season, Pt. 1


I remember my prom like it was yesterday. More importantly, I remember the events leading up to prom. One particular teacher at my school decided to be a difficult jackass and give everyone who chose to spend the day beautifying instead of learning economics an F for the day. Not wanting to ruin my hard won B+, I only attended school for his fifty minute class.

But this is equal parts cautionary tale and personal advise to both avoid my slightly traumatic experience and to get the most out of your beautification for prom.

I had my makeup done at the Estee Lauder counter. Now this story is not an any way to condemn or cruelly criticize Estee Lauder because I like their cosmetics and absolutely adore their fragrances. However, I turned out orange and I didn't find out until I was half-way home. You see, I have a golden-olive complexion and at any hint of Spring or Summer sun, I redden. That turns my yellowish undertones slightly bronze. But that wasn't the case as I tend to avoid the sun. Wrinkles and cancer and all that. [Photo source: http://www.calitoprom.com/]

Anyway the problem was bad lighting at the counter. This seems to be endemic at many cosmetics counters. Makeup is best applied using natural sunlight or its closest artifical equivalent; skin shows its natural coloring. I've had this problem before, having a foundation applied to my skin that looks good in dim, store lighting but unnaturally tanned outside. As a result I've shied away, though the M*A*C cosmetics counter at Macy's in Water Tower Place in Chicago often set up their makeup chairs near their large picture window where the sun shines beautifully. Keep this in mind at the counter.

One way to avoid such a beauty tragedy is to opt for a loose powder rather than liquid or cream foundation. Powders have a wider range to play with as far as complexions, where as liquids and creams need to be as exact as possible.

My makeup was gorgeous and perfectly complemented by satin dress that at turns looked ice blue or very light lilac. Just, my skin...it was orange. I remember being exhausted after the makeover because I got started early going to get my hair done, attending that one annoying class and then to the Estee Lauder counter. I sat in the car with my head propped up by my hand to avoid leaning over and ruining my hair. Then I looked at my hand for whatever reason and saw the orange. I gasped and opened the vanity mirror and screamed loudly in the Sam's Club parking lot. I panicked but remembered that I had a package of makeup wipes at home so I could put on my correct shade and not look like I napped on the tanning bed. All was saved but most importantly I had a great time at prom. [/End cautionary tale]

To avoid this: 1) Look around at the lighting. Does it resemble sunlight? Is the counter dimly lit? This is where I made my mistake. Also take a look at yourself in a nearby mirror. Do you look darker than usual (barring tanning or an outbreak of acne)? Too light? Take this into consideration; 2) Speak to the specific aesthetician who will be doing your makeup. It would help tremendously to have a good, well-lit picture of yourself in your dress as the color of your dress will/should affect the color scheme for your makeup. If you have a specific look to achieve make sure to voice it clearly or take a photo of a close example. 3) Just in case of a mishap like mine, purchase some makeup wipes to remove the foundation.

While most counters do not obligate you to purchase products, it's a good idea if you do. Not only a goodwill gesture but handy for touch-ups. Prom is a long, long night and your lipstick will definitely fade eventually and you may want to touch up with some powder.

Next post: Part 2 will discuss other prom day beautifying (do's and don't's) and what you will definitely need in your evening clutch.