04 November 2007

Not Impressed: Bare Escentuals

(Photo courtesy of Sephora.com. Used without permission.)

And I had so many hopes riding on this foundation. I was color-typed by one of the sales associates at the Bare Escentuals store at the Water Tower Plaza on North Michigan Avenue. In the store under their lights, the "Warm Tan" color fit perfectly. In fact, I had never seen my skin look so flawless. I bought the powder foundation and the Tinted Mineral Veil, eager to put it on myself the next day. I thought I had finally found a cosmetics 'counter' with proper lighting, a subject I have complained about at some length.

When I apply foundation I make sure to do so in a large mirror with natural sunlight. When I put on the Bare Escentuals there was an obvious dark ring around my face and neck. While some may like the "sun-kissed look" I don't. I was born with the sun-kissed look, I just want a foundation that matches me. Though I found that in Vasanti's EXCELLENT Face Base, I tried BE because of the skincare element.

I took the foundation back and told them way, suggesting that I need a shade or two lighter. They recommended only a shade lighter and sent me home with the "tan" color. Still not a good fit. Meanwhile I notice that the Tinted Mineral Veil is flawless on my skin. I couldn't even tell I had it on. Armed with that knowledge I go instead to Sephora knowing the sales associates at Bare Escentuals would strike out a third time.

I foolishly tried to match the powder of the Tinted Mineral Veil to one of the powder foundations; I chose Medium Beige. It was just a bit too chalky. Third strike and I'm done with Bare Escentuals. When I returned that purchase to Sephora, one of the ladies there told me that she really didn't like the look of BE on olive complexions. On top of the less-than-stellar color pigments, BE didn't cure any of my minor skin problems (redness, irritation, occasional breakouts) so there was no need for me to spend the money on it.

BE did not live up to the hype for me. My skin didn't start clearing up, evening out the complexion and getting rid of the redness until I started using a Lancome regimen, which I will post about at another time.

No comments: